Subject: Re: Gauls and Celts & bagpipes
From: Jon Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Feb 1994 16:02:21 +0000

> On Wed, 16 Feb 1994, MacKenzie Stewart wrote:
>
> > Just a bit of trivia:
> > Bagpipes originated in Galicia, Spain and the Celtic culture adpoted them.
> >
> > However, I'm not sure where and when bagpipes were developed, and when
> > Celts came into contact with them or the Spanish ?

Bagpipes are found all over the world including Greek Macedonia, the Arabian
peninsular, India, Spanish Catalunia, to name but a few. There is nothing
uniquely Celtic about bagpipes. Nor is it possible to ascertain where they
originated. Trade was conducted with Cornwall for its tin in very early times
(i.e bronze age) it is natural that culture would also to some extent be
exchanged along a sea route that extended from Western Britain, past Western
France, Spain, North Africa and as far as the Eastern mediterranean. Bagpipes
may have come to Britain in very early times from the near East. However it is
equally possible that they travelled the other way. It is equally plausible
that musical instrument technology developed quite independantly in a
number of places to generate a similar outcome.