Subject: Re: Gauls and Celts
From: Michael Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 08:35:32 GMT

| I constantly feel like I'm asking terribly obvious questions in Remedial
| Celtology, but I'm back to try your patience again. Am I to infer that the
| Gauls actually were Celts? I'd always thought of them as more, well, Gallic,

  Remember that "Celtic" is primarily a linguistic categorisation, which is
often also classified via archaeological artefacts -- though this is sometimes
less reliable since materials can be adopted and copied by other cultures.
  Yes, France was thoroughly Celtic before the Romans destroyed it piecemeal.

| .Am I also to understand that Gaul, Galatian, and Gaelic are
| from similar roots?

  I don't think this can be said.

  The term "Gaelic" comes from a Welsh epithet, "Gwyddyl", which just meant
something like "wildman" -- approximately the same as the Latin epithet for
the Irish, "Scotti"/"Scotii".  This became adopted into Irish as Gael, Gaeilge,
etc (and remains in Scottish Gaelic as "Gaidheal", "Gaidhlig", etc --
the initial labialisation has been smoothed out).
  I don't think anyone has or can agree on where the names "Gaul", "Celt",
etc, come from and mean.