IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  January 1994

IRTRAD-L January 1994

Re: Earthquake report ... for now..

Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jan 1994 17:50:00 PST

Hi again,

I Promise to get back to Music Soon!!!!  But for now...  This information
may interest a couple of you at least...

I just got back from UCLA, and people (we)'re cleaning it up at the moment...
E-Mail messages are arriving at UCLA from all over the place asking if the
school is open - and for some response.  Here's what I know:
Some of the departments are open tomorrow and some aren't.  The schools
of the Arts and L&S will be closed, Engineering and GSM will be open ---
barring any more unforeseen circumstances.  The University Research Library
(URL) will be closed this week, but TOWEL (the undergrad library) is open,
beginning tomorrow.  There is extensive damage to some of the buildings.
Royce Hall, Kerkhoff, and the Dance Building are all evacuated and closed!
Others may be closed as well, but I couldn't tell...  The buildings in the
center of the campus appear to be open.  Let's see... is that all?  Please
pass on the word of all this to anyone you think might be interested.

Cal State Northridge is Closed (and badly damaged.)  James Porter lives in
Sylmar, near there, and nobody can get through to him.  I've been trying
and trying and will continue to try ...  A lot of us care a lot, which I
think he knows.  Also, people have been calling me from Scotland to see
if we're okay --- including James, so a lot of people will be glad to know
he's okay.  Paul - I'll let you know when we get through.

It's interesting to me that I've been asking all of you about "meaning" and
the "right way" to play music, for some time now...  Yesterday, a friend
suggested that earthquakes are God's redecoration.  Another friend said she
ran for the doorway during the earthquake and found herself thinking how
incredible it is to get to experience the earth moving so fast - and so much..
when usually it's the earth that moves so slowly and takes so many thousands
of years to change.  Then I got in my car and drove up to UCLA and found
myself listening to some gorgeous music and crying.  What a life this is!

Please pass on the word.  We're okay.  (at least I am)
Thanks,
Ellen