Subject: Strange bid for dog stories from the back
From: "Thomas J. Delaney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Nov 93 15:51:43 -0600

Dear friends,

Silence reigns o'er the CELTIC-L...well, how'bout this:

     Once, somewhere, someone related to me a story about Ceasar (I don't know
which one...that's part of my inquiry) receiving two Irish Wolfhounds from the
High King of Ireland, and that the sheer girth of these dogs caused Ceasar to
reconsider any campaign against a people who kept giant dogs around for pets.
Can anyone add some depth..or amybe even a little color...to this tale?

     And while we're on the topic of dogs...I also once heard another good story
about a dog buried outside of a pub somewhere in Ireland (with a tombstone and
all).  The sytory went something like this.  The owner of the dog had died, and
the dog laid on its owner's graves refusing all offeres of food or to be moved
indoors from the inclemencies of the weather, until the poor forlorn guy died of
starvation. I know a monument to this dog stands today (I've even got a picture
of it somewhere) but the details of the story escape me..as wel as the location
of my picture of the stone.  So...does anybody know what I'm talking about?

     Now another request. A while back, I asked if anyone who had a favorite
Irish or Scottish poem to send me a copy. Well anyway, the response was an
overwhelming and bone-crushing silence. While I love serenity as much as the
next guy, I thought maybe there's something else readers of this list may be
able to help me out with.  How about sending me a good recipe for an Irish,
Scottish, or even a real-live bronze-age Celtic recipe?  (See...I have this big
date coming up...and ...well...)  I don't intend to use this group for lunatic
recipe-swapping frivolity, but sometimes I think food can be an important and
basic facet of any culture (right?) So if you have a good one laying around,
maybe your grandmother made it when you were a kid...whatever...send it to me
and I'll be eternally grateful to you. By the way, I am already well acquainted
with the preparation of tea, scones, baked/boiled potatoes, boiled cabbages,
etc.

P.S.  Snow in Minnesota.

By this, the sun was out o' sight,
An' darker gloamin brought the night:
The bum-clock humm'd wi' lazy drone,
The kye stood rowtin i' the loan;
When up they gat an' shook their lugs,
Rejoic'd they were na men, but dogs;
An' each took aff his several way,
Resolv'd to meet some ither day.

   - somethin' fitting about dogs from auld Mister Burns

Go raibh maith agat,

Tom

School Psychology Program | * O Willie brew'd a peck o' maut,            *
University of Minnesota   | *   And Rob and Allan cam to see;            *
75 East River Rd.         | * Three blyther hearts, that lee lang night, *
Minneapolis, MN  55455    | *   Ye wad na found in Christendie.          *