TA-CHEERS

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Wed, 3 Nov 93 10:13:12 -0600

I have a question for the Brits on the net--it's not Celtic culture but
it is contemporary culture and I am curious.

When does a Brit say "ta" and when does he/she say "cheers" as a substitute
for thank you? Is it totally interchangeable or is there a subtle shade of
meaning (sarcasm, particularly) between the two? This is Irish usage too,
I think, though it may have been imported from Britain; I don't know about that.
Can someone enlighten me?

By the way, in response to the user who asked who's interested in Welsh
Celticism--I don't think one can be interested in Celtic culture and not
be interested in the Welsh. So many legends originated in Wales--all the
Mabinogian and the Arthurian drama. Anyway, I certainly am.

Jill