Subject: Re: monastery
From: David McFadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Nov 1993 21:22:58 -0500

>Hi,
>I am a new member of the list and I am looking for any informations
>about the early Irish monasteries, especially Clonmacnoise, Skellig
>Michael and Einiskillen. I am a student of art history and I need
>them to my diploma. I am especially interested in  the cultural role of
>the places in the very early times of Irish christiani....

Kobra,
Try two books by James Charles Roy, The Road West, The Sky Close (that's
one)-- and Islands of Storm. Wonderfully well-informed travel books,
scholarly but entertaining, and a big focus of attention is the whole field
of early Irish monasteries. He's brilliant on Skellig Michael and getting
into the minds of the monks who built it and lived there. Someone suggested
these books to me six or eight weeks ago when I put a query about stone
circles on the list. Well, there was zilch about stone circles in the book,
but I just couldn't put the books down anyway, they were so wonderful. So,
here I am, glad to return the favour...
David W. McFadden <[log in to unmask]>
PS The first book should be The Road West, The Wind Close