Subject: scots/scotch
From: "S.T.Champion" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Nov 1993 11:14:36 GMT

Real Scots only use the word Scotch for whisky, as my father used to tell me
endlessly.  There is now a kind of sticky tape which uses the word Scotch as
its brand-name.  Scottish people and their language are always Scots.  If in
the US there are now people who call themselves Scotch or Scotch-Irish, then
that is a use of the word coined in the US.  My dad would be shocked, and since
I don't want to upset him I won't tell him!  For him, it would be as bad as
adding anything other than spring water to a glass of Scotch!  Bye, Sara (the
hybrid - father 3/4 Scots, 1/4 Irish, mother unfortunately English but she
couldn't help that).