CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  October 1993

CELTIC-L October 1993

The Second Book of Kells!!

Willie Ofarrell <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Tue, 26 Oct 93 21:22:00 -0100

I know this listing should not be used for commercial purposes, but I
think Kenny's bookshop in Galway deserves support in taking off their
hands just one of the thousands of books the have on their shelves.

The following article is taken from The Connaught Tribune this weekend:

"A Galway bookshop is looking for rather special customer who would
be willing to buy a very special publication for a cool u1 million .
Kenny's Bookshop on High Street have been commissioned to find a
buyer for what could be described as a modern-day Book of Kells.

        More than 250 leading poets and artists have stepped back
centuries in time to contribute to The Great Book of Ireland, a
handmade once off volume of large vellum pages.

        The project hopes to raise u1 million for the joint promoters,
Clashganna Mills Trust-a charity aiming to convert an old mills
complex in Co. Carlow for people with disabilities-and Poetry
Ireland/ Elges Eireann,which promotes poetry throughout the 32
counties of Ireland.

        All of the contributors-140 poets,120 painters and nine
composers-have found themselves using half-forgotten Implements
on a material light years away from bleached, flat paper.

        Vellum is normally supplied nowadays for orchestral tympani
heads and sheets of the nature required for the book had to be
painstakingly prepared by hand.

        The artists faced the nightmare of working,one chance only,on
an unfamiliar surface , on a living material which stretched and
shrank as it was wet or dry, while the poets scratched away with
dip-pens on a surface pitted with microscopic bumps and hollows worked
directly onto the vellum pages with dip-pens

        American poet Alan Ginsberg, Icon of the 60's generation,
became the final contributor when he entered his poem "The Song of
the shrouded Stranger of the Night" at Kenny's this week.

        The vast majority of the contributors, however are Irish-and
they are all there Samuel Beckett, Louis le Brocqui, Seamus Heaney,
Sean McSweeney and also featuring are local artists like Brian
Bourke, John Behan, Mary O'Malley, Joan McBreen, and Ann Kennedy.

        Despite the u1 million price tag, Kenny's are confident of
securing a buyer and have already started a world wide marketing
campaign, with Tom Kenny in the United States this week to search
for potential purchasers.

        'It's certainly the most daunting task we have ever taken on,'
said Conor Kenny,' but we do believe that we will sell it. It is a
tremendous book that is impossible to describe.'"

Willie

[log in to unmask]                Ireland On-Line, Furbo, Co. Galway, Rep.
of Ireland
                                Phone   +353 91 92727
                                Fax             +353 91 92726

ps If you are interested I'm sure Ireland On-Line could negotiate free
of charge the odd thousand off the selling price!!!!

wof