CELTIC-L  October 1993

CELTIC-L October 1993

"Irish-ness" and "Scottish-ness"

Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Mon, 18 Oct 93 22:15:00 PDT

Hi,

First of all, thanks very much to Seamus MacConaonaigh and Dennis Doyle
for their informative and welcome responses to my "Traditional Irish
Religious Music" queries.  It's interesting to me to see how, in a country
such as Ireland where there have been many outside influences over the
centuries, some older traditions remain and continue to spark the
imaginations of people who identify with them.  No doubt this music
falls into that category...

along with all the Celtic history and mythology that's being discussed on
this list lately.

Which takes me to my latest musings --- and questions.
My friend Paulette and I had the good fortune to teach one of our Celtic
music classes last week.  Our (my) idea was to look at contemporary
performances of traditional music in both Ireland and Scotland in terms
of some of the major influences that have helped shape it today.  It turned
out to be a lively discussion, although most of the students in the class are
primarily excited about Ireland ... and not Scotland.  It seems that it's
Ireland that has sparked their imaginations - with its history, music,
and perhaps public image.  But My heart is in Scotland (admittedly, I have
never been to Ireland, so I don't pretend to be objective about this), so
I'm wondering what's up.  I wonder what people think of as "Irish"?  What
is "Irish-ness"?  How about "Scottish-ness"?

Since I'm finding I'm better at asking questions (most of the time, at
least) than answering them, here are a few ideas I have about this.  Also,
perhaps my naive thoughts will stir some of you into the present day -
at least for a moment.  I'd love to hear what you think about this.

I have an image of Irish-ness that includes a special way my Irish friends
have with language.  They love puns and play with words - sometimes that's
what the words are for - not for direct information.  I think of Irish
people as having two lives - outdoors and indoors.  Very different...
let's see...  they wear lots of white, cable-knit sweaters, tell great
stories - and appreciate it when others tell them, are strong minded,
and love to play music - competitively, in pubs... all night long.
There!  How's that for a picture?  And of course, it all takes place in
green, rolling hills with white stucco houses and everybody riding bicycles.

Scotland - or Scottish-ness, is another matter for me.  I have been there
a number of times in the past few years, and it's a place of friends for me.
Hard lives and grit characterize lots of the people I know... coupled with
really wonderful and funny stories.  Things tend to be very personal ... the
stories, the way people relate --- it all has meaning in people's lives.
This is especially true for the songs, I think - and the references to
history seem, as I know them, to go back to wars ... clan wars, Jacobite
wars, the 1st World War, etc.  Community is very important there.  I think
it's an extremely small world in Scotland - everybody seems to know what
everybody else is up to.  "New-Age" mysticism was barely tolerated.  While
I was there,  I visited the Callenish Stones on Lewis, and our B&B owner
was joking about the "hippies" who came out for the summer solstice, etc.
Her little children played hide-and-seek among those stones.
     I've done a lot of walking on Skye, and I've been offered a lot of
lifts while I've been out waving off the midges.  Maybe "Scottish-ness"
includes a generous nature...  maybe helping each other is how those people
have survived.  I also love the droll sense of humor, the wailing song-
lines, the dogs rounding up the sheep...

     Please forgive my wanderings here.  Of course I'd love for everyone to
be as excited about Scotland as I find them to be (here, at least) about
Ireland - but it's really okay with me to have people love whatever they
like.  Obviously, my Scottish images  come from my own experiences, and
my Irish images come from who knows where.  Also, I imagine lots of people
think of Scotland as being full of tartans and bagpipes and family tree
information and castles???  Well...  But since these two countries are so
closely linked in the Celtic world, isn't it interesting to have them seem
so different from one another.

I hope some of this made a little bit of sense.
Moran taing,
Ellen