Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: teangacha na gCeiltaeach < the Celtic languages >
From: Colin Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Sep 93 09:22:21 MDT

> From: Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: teangacha na gCeiltaeach < the Celtic languages >
>
> I agree whole-heartedly with Marion's sentiments: I must add that the term
> 'death' is one always used in the discussion on Manx and other minority
> speechways -- popularised in the Celtic arena by Nancy Dorian's work on as she
> terms it 'language death.' Well, languages really do not 'die' and they do not
> 'live'. People speak them. There are sorts of reasons why people stop speaking
> them and all sorts of reasons why people start speaking them again. Languages
> are not 'revived' -- they return. Authenticity kicks in then -- you hear older
> members of the Manx language movement saying the Manx taught in schools now is
> not the real Manx that they learnt -- what often bedevils Manx is the desire t
> be Ned Maddrell -- to be the last true native speaker. Neo-romanticism is stil
> a problem. But Manx is on the cards again, there is no doubt about that.

Gu dearbh... ach 's e aon chomharradh air ca\nain bheo\ gu bheilear
a' togail clann leatha mar cha\nain na dachaidh.

A bheil fhios agad a bheil parantan a tha a' togail an cuid cloinne
anns an do\igh seo?

(One mark of a living language is that children are raised with it as
the language of the home.

Do you know if there are parents who are raising children in this way
with Manx?)

*  Colin Wilson,                           E-mail:  [log in to unmask]     *
*  Glasgow Engineering Centre,             POTS:    (041) 553 2144             *
*  British Telecommunications plc.                  (+ 44 41) 553 2144         *
*  229 George Street,                                                          *
*  Glesca / Glaschu G1 1BZ,              Scotland a Twa-Leidit Fowkrick        *
*  Scotland / Alba.                      Biodh Alba 'na Poblachd Dha-Chananach *