Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Slender r phoneme
From: Tom Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Sep 93 17:25:33 BST

>         I hate to write in English, but this question might be of interest
> even to very beginners.
>         Basically, what do you do with your mouth/tongue to make that
> funky palatized "r" sound?  I have listened to hours of tapes, but don't
> quite have it yet.  I can hear the difference between the velar and
> palatized versions, but can't seem to articulate it.  Also, various
> speakers seem to pronounce it a bit differently
>         Any advice?

It's dialect dependent.  It's also context dependent.

At the beginning of a word, forget it - use a standard English r.
At the end of a word, it's like "th" in "this" or "t" in "neat".
In the middle of a word, followed by a vowel, it's like "rj" in
Spanish.
Followed by a t, it's like "sh" in "ship".
Followed by a liquid, it's a liquid r (note that this r is also used
in some broad contexts, eg the r in beurla)

That's W Ross dialect. It's roughly similar in the Isles, including
Skye. It's different further South (Argyll, Ireland).

Tom