Help for WELSH-L Archives

WELSH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cwestiwn
From: Briony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Aug 93 10:27:43 BST

Roger Vanderveen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 	I've been trying to figure out the correct way to say rh in Welsh.
> 	I named my son Rhys before starting to learn Welsh and now would
> 	like to know how to correctly pronounce it.  We've been saying it
> 	like the English name Reese (soft r lone e).
>
> OK os yr wyt ti'n dod o'r dde.
>
> In the North they would pronouce the vowel more like a German u-umlaut, i.e.
> "ee" with rounded lips.  At least, that's the way I pronounce the name of my
> son, Daniel Rhys.

It's not really a German u-umlaut sound, though it may be close to it for some
speakers.  Here's some info on the long and short [y | u] vowel sounds as in
'Rhys', 'gofyn', 'ffug', 'achub' (ie. not the 'obscure y' as in the first
vowel of 'cyrraedd'), from "The Distinctive Vowels and Consonants of Welsh",
Glyn E. Jones, in "Welsh Phonology", ed. M.J. Ball and G.E. Jones (1984),
Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
   "The short vowel is articulated with the centre of the tongue raised to a
position above half-close and slightly in advance of centre.  The lips are
neutral.  The long [version] is articulated with the centre of the tongue
raised towards the close position...; the lips are slightly spread but
lip-rounding is reported in some areas."

Sort of half-way between the vowel in English 'beet' and the first vowel
of 'above'.

Pob hwyl i bawb

Briony

Briony Williams                              [log in to unmask]  (JANET)
Centre for Speech Technology Research,       [log in to unmask]
80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, UK.      Tel:  (0)31 650 2790
    (A quarter-Irish Englishwoman working on Welsh in Scotland)