GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

GAELIC-L Home

GAELIC-L  December 1992

GAELIC-L December 1992

Bun-Ghaeilge: Reading 11B, Translation

"Michael D. Rhodes" <[log in to unmask]>

GAELIC Language Bulletin Board <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Dec 92 07:39:59 -0700

I mistakenly sent the translation for 10B rather than 11B.  Here is the
correct one.

    As she left, she threw an apple to Connla, and instantly she disappeared,
and the king and his company no longer heard her voice.

    The king and his son went home, and Connla did not eat any food nor dring
anything except the apple for an entire month.  And although he ate from the
apple every day, it did not become less, but it was as whole at the end of the
month as it was at the beginning.  Moreover, when they offered him anything
at all to eat or drink, he refused it; for as long as he had the apple, he
did not want to partake of any other food.  He became very gloomy and sad when
he remembered the beautiful fairy maiden.

    At the end of the month, as Connla was sitting by his father in the midst
of the nobles at Maigh Archoman, he saw the same woman coming towards him from
the west.  And when she came near him, she spoke to him in this manner:

    "It is a glorious seat that Connla has among the miserable short-lived men,
who wait for the dreadful blow of death!  But now, as for the ever young men
of the Pleasant Field, who will never feel old age, and who have no fear of
death, they see you among your friends from day to day, in the assemblies of
your native land.  They love you, and they want you to be king over them, if
you will come with me."

    When the king heard the woman's words, he commanded his people to summon
his druid again.

    "Get me my druid, Coran, for I see that the fairy woman has got the power
of her voice back."

    Then the woman said, "Valiant Conn, the belief of the druids has come to
small honor among the strong, honest people in this land.  When the true law
is given again, it will seal the lips of the lying black demon, and the druids
will no longer have power to work their deceitful magic spells."

    Now the king noticed that his son didn't ever speak a word to anyone when
the woman was present, even if they spoke to him again and again.  And when
the woman had stopped talking, the king said:

    "Connla, my son, do the woman's words move your heart?"

    Then Connla said, "Father, I am very unhappy, for although I love my
people above anything else, nevertheless, I am full of sorrow because of this
woman."