CELTIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  November 1992

CELTIC-L November 1992

globalize the 'Peace Corps' ...

"Melcir Erskine-Richmond" <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Thu, 19 Nov 92 14:28:19 PST

          CREATING AN APPROPRIATE GLOBAL '21st C. PEACE CORPS'

Reflecting upon the concept of the U.S. 'Peace Corps', I wonder if the
time has come to consider and embrace the need for some globalized
futuristic version of this Peace Corps.  Its' function? - to address
the needs for _21st-Century global modelling_ .

This global project would offer a platform where ALL of us may choose
to become volunteers to re-model the best of our respective tribal-to-
national social institutions into a commendable global-cultural-living
framework - seeking lands suitable to be dedicated to modelling a 21st-
Century global prototype (perhaps with financial support from bodies,
such as existing internationally-endorsed UN agencies, non-governmental
organizations, etc., but with additional grass-roots [ad hoc], e-mail,
campus-affiliated, communities-liaision components: ie. a 'we-the-people-
of-this-planet-hereby-wish-to-model-a-desireable-and-appropriate-cultural-
model-for-global-liaison' project.

> In Message Wed, 18 Nov 1992 14:25:07 -0800, [log in to unmask]
> writes:
>
> >Hi my name is Karen.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Sierra Leone.
> >I just heard about this network and thought I would log on and see
> >what it's about.  Hope to hear from you all soon.
> >Bye
> >Karen
>
> Hello, Karen, greetings.  We are glad to have you with us.  There are other
> former Peace Corps workers on this list, too.
>
> West Africa has a special place in my heart after research trips that I have
> made there in the past four summers.  However, I worked in Kenya for sixteen
> years.
>
> --- Chelagoi
> Chelagoi               alias                         Richard Chowning

If we wish to consider creating and designing this concept collectively,
what would be the simplest and most effective way to bring such a group
together to create a Global Peace/Cultural Corps?

Obviously, here on these bulletin boards we have the ability to
collectively brainstorm the basis for such a project.  We could consider
the needs, continent by continent, and where the best locations might be
for the global social experiments to be developed.  Would there be sites
known to readers of the bulletins that they consider well-suited to the
design of a global model-city/campus/town/village?

Where would the most suitable location be for the initial test-site? -
In a '3-rd world' nation?  On a continent?  On an island?  How would we
attract the funding, the international support-systems, the people?
How would we offer the conceptual modelling - to bring the many facets
of the global peoples together?  Would e-mail communications/bulletin-
boards (ie. [log in to unmask]) provide a suitable 'meeting-place'?

As we consider this concept and the needs of the various populations
and geographic areas, the task appears almost inconceivable -- ie.
beyond gargantuan!  But we see that the needs of the people and the
planet make it inevitable that we turn to some form of global forum
process for some of the most pressing planetary concerns.  In electronic
communications would seem to lie the answer to the need for a
cost-efficient dialoguing process between all peoples ...

Our first global agenda would therefore seem to be:

* to provide 'online-communications' to the grass-root groups of the planet.
  Initially, we should encourage the facilities needed to assist the needs
  of wide-scattered and/or low-population regions (eg. Africa [assisted
  by the 'peered' sites of the Pan-African Forum bulletin-board:
  [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
  etc.], the Pacific Island nations [via [log in to unmask]]), and
  ships-at-sea [via [log in to unmask]].  There are also the issues
  of peoples geographically and culturally fragmented by socio-political
  disruptions (such as the Celtic peoples [via [log in to unmask]]),
  who obviously need encouragement to participate in this process.  Many
  other problems (among many areas and peoples) need addressing in the
  context of creating an egalitarian global cultural model. [A number of
  other bulletin boards are (or are well-suited to) independently
  addressing many of these socio-cultural resesearch and developmental
  issues.]

Clearly, we stand on the brink of a new human adventure - the process of
discovering our collective global destiny.  In this emerging climate of
a global-wide democratic process, with its attendant abrupt changes in
planetary geo-politics, we may individually find a special role in which
each one of us may raise an effective voice AND demonstrate a practical,
humanitarian perspective in the evolution of an optimal desired future.

Melcir Erskine-Richmond

To paraphrase some evocative thoughts now historically enshrined:

              Ask not what our planet will do for us,
              but rather what we can do for our planet?"

     (Adapted from the concepts of idealised nationalism first brought
             to world attention by the late John F. Kennedy).

Best to all,
Melcir