Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: an t-ainm Yves < the name Yves >
From: Dan Wilson <ATDYW@ASUACAD>
Date:Fri, 17 Jul 92 19:03:44 MST

Yves... interesting. I always considered that a French personal name -
live and learn! Do you pronounce "Ives"  as "Eves" or as "Eye-ves?" In the
US, we would invariably opt for the latter. Along the same lines, is the
surname Mac Ivor  pronounced "Mac Eve-er (MacKeever)" or "Mac Eye-ver
(Mackyver)?"

DW

Dan Wilson * Arizona State Univ West Campus * 4701 W. Thunderbird Rd. *
Phoenix, AZ 85060 * Voice: (602) 543-6410  * InterNet: [log in to unmask]