Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

La/ 'le Caoimhi/n < Saint Kevin's Day >

Marion GUNN <[log in to unmask]>

GAELIC Language Bulletin Board <GAELIC-L@IRLEARN>

Wed, 3 Jun 92 17:05:28 GMT

Inniu la/ 'le Caoimhi/n, pa/tru/n ansa na Laighneach. Tharla gur Laighneach
mise, ni/or mhaith liom an la/ seo a scaoileadh tharam gan a ainn a lua!
   Today is the feast of Saint Kevin of Ireland, one of the patrons
   of the province of Leinster. I have always had a special feeling
   for Caoimhi/n and all he represents, whatever that may be (there
   is some question as to what he really represents.:-) Kevin seems
   to have been one of the earliest of Irish Christian "greens". He
   was born 100s of yrs before the better-known S.Francis of Assisi.
   One story tells of a time when his monks were hungry and an otter
   came and fed them with salmon. I love the one that tells of Kevin
   praying with arms outstretched -- so still that a blackbird came
   and laid her egg in his palm! What did this man do, who was at
   one with the world? He stayed as he was, down on his knees,
   until the baby bird hatched.
Sin e/ mo sce/alsa, agus ma/ ta/ bre/ag ann, bi/odh. Ni/ mise a chum
na/ a cheap e/. Interesting to note that the Earth World Summit (or
is that the World Earth Summit?) is in session today, Kevin's day.
Marion