Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: learn Irish guidelines
From: tom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 May 92 15:15:02 -0500

To: All those who indicated an interest in the learning Irish group.
We have 36 on the list now.
The follwoing is a two-part proposal on handling the IG learning group.
Please respond to the points of this proposal so we all can judge how
we want to proceed. Do the following procedures meet your needs?

PENPAL (used metaphorically here) EXCHANGE ACTIVITY
This will not be a moderated activity. You are to penpal with each
other.
1. Help each other learn the language.
2. Exchange messages in IG; keep short and elementary.
3. Respond to each message you receive.
4. Exchanges should be conversation, not monologues.
5. Ask questions about messages if necessary, in IG if you can.
6. Post any questions about IG to GAELIC-L; we'll all learn from your
commonly shared questions and from the answers posted by GAELIC-L
readers.
7. When you post to GAELIC-L, start the subject line with ELEM IG. This
will alert GAELIC-L readers that something elementary is coming. They
can choose to bypass if they wish. Also, such a subject signal alerts
the Elem IG group to read such a message.
8. We could also identify ourselves by level of knowledge through a
relative scale (beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced,
fluent, native speaker??). We could also identify ourselves by how
often we want an exchange (an exchange = the receiving and answering
of a message): 1/week, 2/week, etc. We would group ourselves by twos
matching level and frequency.
9. One could also address an IG message to all the ELEM IG group by
using GAELIC-L (using ELEM IG subject line).

COMMON *LESSONS* IN IG
An experienced IG learner and two native speakers have offered to help
us. The experienced IG learner has offered to put elementary passages
on GAELIC-L so we can practice translating them. These could be
accompanied by short grammar lessons to help with the translating. Each
one of you would send your translation to one of the three *helpers*
above. Or *an answer* would be posted on GAELIC-L after three days (?)
and you could post questions to a helper to clear up your translation.
We all could be assigned a helper as a reference person.

Some of you have asked if we are having a common book. That was not
in the original plan, but under the COMMON LESSON idea just
outlined, that certainly could be a possibility. Respond to that
particular point if you think this would of benefit to you. With
the help of experienced IG speakers and learners we could take
recommendations on learning books and eventually reading material.

Please respond now to the various points of this proposal to GAELIC-L.
Do so by indicating ELEM IG in the subject line. Thanks to all.
Tom Clemens