Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: *PC-Kimmo
From: Marion GUNN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Nov 91 17:32:47 GMT

Thanks, Soren -- I'll add your informative note to the file which (I hope)
will some day become a useful "rough guide" to computing packages likely
to be of use to G-L subscribers. I'd welcome similarly succinct notes
about linguistics packages from other subscribers.
         Speaking of succinctness -- I have been taken privately to task
for a recent msg in which I said it was my habit to automatically junk
msgs which were all in English and longer than 25 lines. I'm afraid that
throwaway remark offended some people. I don't believe it offended any
beginners, or students of Celtic or Linguistics who are (and always have
been) welcome to send English msgs aimed at helping them to learn Gaelic
or to study its structures, its literature or its varied oral tradition,
or help strengthen our bonds with other Celtic language communities.
         There is plenty of space on G-L for carrying on debates in the
language of choice of the subscriber -- it's just that as I, personally,
do not have time to read it all, my usual choice is to ignore long msgs
in English. Although that is a choice shared by several other members and
some ex-members of the net, it is not one I'd expect everyone to share.
         On a marginally related issue: I'd like to apologise to anyone
in receipt of brief or unsatisfactory replies from me during the last few
months. Family illness and company business have both taken their toll
of my time. Perhaps selfishly, I permitted a backlog of unaswered mail to
build up, rather than cut down on my enjoyment of and participation in G-L
exchanges in order to clear it. But I have been nibbling away steadily at
it, and I hope that people will bear with me on this.
Marion

Marion Gunn
Facs <Fax>:+353-1-2694409 Fo/n <'Phone>: +353-1-7068106 no/<or> 2839396
Seoladh <Address>: An Cola/iste Ollscoile, Baile A/tha Cliath 4, E/ire.