Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Borrowings and mutations
From: Donall O Baoill ITE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Nov 91 10:37:00 GMT

A Chiara/in,
Regarding 'f' in borrowed words I think that what you say is correct for
rish at least.  Thus we have mo froc 'my coat', co/ta Frainc 'Frank's coat',
mo fliu/t 'my flute' etc.  but notice mo fhideal 'my fiddle' perhaps an older
loanword.  This non-mutation of 'f' is common in other dialects as well.
Do/nall