Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: RE: Lowering the tone...
From: Craig Cockburn 14-Nov-1991 1253 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 14 Nov 91 01:00:00 LCL

--- Replying to your mail received on 12-NOV-1991 at 11:34:03 ---

>       In the Cambridge Gaelic Soc. Marion MacLeod mentioned a word used in
>both Gaelic and colloquial English in the Highlands and Islands, this being
>spelt something like 'bu\rach' and meaning an untidy mess (like the state my
>desk is usually in, etc.), or even I think a state of mind. However she has
>been unable to find this in any dictionary, though it perhaps has some
>relation to bu\rach "searching or turning up the earth; delving, digging".
>Any suggestions for a good definition, and help with the origin of this?

McBain's etymological dictionary says of bu\rach:
<bu\rach>, turning up of the earth, digging; from the Sc. [bourie],
  Eng. [burrow].  The Sc. [bourach], enclosure, cluster, knoll,
  heap, etc., is the Eng. [bower].

There is also:

<brollach>, a mess; cf. E.R. [brothlach], the Fe/nian cooking pit, from
  [broth], as in [brochan], q.v.

You might turn up some info looking in a dictionary of Lowland Scots too-
I think there is a similar word "buroch"

>3) (definately lowering the tone...)
>	A common word for an older male in the Highlands is Bodach. What
>relation does this have to the word 'bod', for which MacLellan's definition is:

"Bod" is also slang English for a person (from "body")

Craig