Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: sibh and tu\ in Irish
From: "Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, C.O.G." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Nov 91 14:25:00 GMT

..
>        stand in number, person and usually in gender. (In addressing
>       a priest, the plural pronoun is used, e.g., "Go soirbhighe Dia
>       dhi/bh, a shagairt."
..

Ta/ aithne agamsa ar bheirt no/ triu/r  +  I know two or three people who
a dheireann "Dia dhaoibh" le sagairt    +  were raised in the Conamara
agus easpaig mar gur to/gadh mar sin    +  Gaeltacht and were taught to
iad i nGaeltacht Chonamara, ach is      +  address priests and bishops using
cinnte go bhfuil an no/s seo ag         +  the plural form "Dia dhaoibh", but
imeacht anois (m.sh. to/gadh mise       +  the practise is certainly a dying
le Gaeilge i gConamara freisin ach      +  one (for example, I was raised in
ni/or du/radh seo liom ar scoil no/     +  Conamara too but not taught this
sa mbaile).                             +  practise).

Seamus.
|  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]                                         |
|   Snail: Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, C.O.G., Gaillimh, E/ire.                  |