Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: sibh & thu
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 29 Oct 91 13:37:00 +0100

        D'fhiafraigh me/ de mo chara Marius O/ hEarca/in as Tir Chonaill agus
du/irt seisean liom gur mu/intear ar scoil do/ibh "sibh" a u/so/id ar seans
go mbeadh an Choirp Chri/ost ag an t-sagairt. Don Caitliceach ansin is
ciallmhar go bhfuil an uimhir iolra ata/ i gceist. Seo an fath, is doigh,
nach bhfuil ach sagairt mar shamplai/ ceanna fein.
        Mar sin - "Ni/l mar a shi/ltear bi/tear"!

        I asked my friend Marius Harkin from Donegal about this and he said
that at school they were instructed to use the plural pronoun when addressing
priests on the chance that the priest may be carrying the Eucharist on his
person. Catholic belief in the real presence of God would then require the
plural. This would explain why in the list of examples of proposed 'formal'
usages of "sibh", only priests have been so far cited.
        Things it would seem, are not all they appear!

Do/nal mac Ca/rthaigh - TCD - Baile atha Cliath 2.