Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: sibh and tu\ in Irish
From: Craig Cockburn 23-Oct-1991 0955 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Oct 91 01:00:00 LCL

Could anyone help me with a discussion taking place on sci.lang at the
moment please.

Does Irish have a formal pronoun, and if so, when is it used?
Ie. Would you ever use "sibh" to be polite, rather than "tu/" ? This is
what happens in French. In Scottish Gaelic, it seems that "sibh" is only
used for much older, or Reverend persons and "thu" is used the rest of the
time. Of course, "sibh" is only used when referring to more than one person.
Can anyone describe from first hand experience what the situation in Ireland
and Scotland is please.

thanks
        Craig

p.s. Sorry about the fada going the wrong way in the subject of this message!

p.p.s. The Gaelic course in London I mentioned earlier today takes place
between Fri 8th Nov and Sun 10th.