LISTSERV    mailing   list    manager LISTSERV 15.0

Help

Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1991)Back to main ITALIC-L pageJoin or leave ITALIC-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Subject: ScholarTeX is ready!
From: YANNIS@FRCITL81
Date:Mon, 15 Jul 91 08:07:07 GMT

Good news: ScholarTeX is ready, just write and I'll send it (after July 28,
since I'm leaving tomorrow for the Boston meeting and I'll be staying in the US
up to this date). Irish is for the next release, but you already have Saxon!
Have a nice holiday (in the beautiful Ireland or abroad)
Yannis

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%                                                                             %
%                             S c h o l a r T e X                             %
%                                                                             %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

ScholarTeX is a collection of fonts, macros, preprocessor, hyphenation patterns,
other related software and a 150-pages manual with many illustrations, exemples,
exercises and mottos. It's purpose is to allow the use of TeX in the following
alphabets:

*** Greek: ancient as well as modern; input in 8-bit mode or entirely in 7-bit
           mode through ligatures; special Oxford symbols for epigraphical
           texts; hyphenation patterns in 7 or 8 bit mode. End-of-word ligature
           used for the final sigma.

*** Epigraphical Greek & Latin: over 200 glyphs of letters coming from ancient
           inscriptions; two fonts: the second being the mirror-image of the
           first is used for automatic boustrophedon typesetting; simplified
           input in an active uppercase letters environment.

*** Armenian: calligraphic or plain; slanted or straight; lowercase letter
           ligatures; input in 8-bit mode or entirely in 7-bit mode, through
           input ligatures; hyphenation patterns in 7 or 8 bit mode.

*** Arabic: for Arabic, Persian, Ottoman, Urdu, Pashto, Malaysian; input enco-
           ding user-defined; possibility of transliterated output; inser-
           tions and marginal notes; compatibility with LaTeX and TeXXeT;
           unpointed letters for old manuscripts.

*** Hebrew: Hebrew and Yiddish; input encoding user-defined; possibility of
           transliterated output; insertions and marginal notes; compatibility
           with LaTeX and TeXXeT.

*** Syriac: Estrangelo; input encoding user-defined; possibility of
           transliterated output; insertions and marginal notes; compatibility
           with LaTeX and TeXXeT.

*** Saxon

*** Old German: Fraktur and Schwabacher; end-of-word ligature used for the
           short s; hyphenation patterns adapted.

*** Phonetic alphabet: the WSUIPA fonts (public domain) compiled and their ori-
           ginal documentation reproduced.

The aim of ScholarTeX is to provide scholars the tools needed to typeset
classical texts like the Bible (Hebrew, Syriac, Greek, Armenian), the Coran
(Arabic), Homer's Poems (Greek), the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (Saxon), Goethe's
Faust (Old German) etc. ScholarTeX is an evolutive package: according to the
specific needs of users, new glyphs can be added or the existing modified.

ScholarTeX is available in three versions, all three featuring bitmap (magstep 0
   to 5), PostScript Type 1, EPSF and TrueType fonts, as follows:

+------------------+------------------+--------------------+-------------------+
| Version          |   Mac-Textures   |     Mac-OzTeX      |         PC        |
+==================+==================+====================+===================+
| Bitmap fonts     |   Mac Suitcase   |              PK & TFM files            |
+------------------+------------------+--------------------+-------------------+
| PostScript       |         Macintosh Type 1 Format       |     PC Type 1     |
|                  |  (Type 1 font, suitcase and AFM file) |  (AFM, PFM, PFB)  |
+------------------+------------------+--------------------+-------------------+
| EPSF             |                         EPSF file                         |
+------------------+------------------+--------------------+-------------------+
| TrueType         |         Macintosh TrueType suitcase   | PC TrueType (TTF) |
+------------------+------------------+--------------------+-------------------+

                 PostScript Type 1 fonts are also available for the NeXT device.

ScholarTeX also serves as a platform for the distribution of related public
domain software after kindly permission of their authors; in all cases the
original documentation is reproduced and the software is ready-for-use.
For this release of ScholarTeX are included:
 *** the WSUIPA fonts, as already mentionned
 *** the SB32 implementation of TeXXeT and ivd2dvi (in the PC version).

The price of ScholarTeX is $200 for individual users (please specify the ver-
sion required); add $100 to obtain the sources (metafont, Pascal-WEB, Post-
Script). The price for Academic Institutions and Publishers is $500 (sources
included).

For orders or information please contact:
    Yannis Haralambous
    101/11, rue Breughel
    59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq, France
    Bitnet: YANNIS@FRCITL81