Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: 8-bit mail
From: Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jul 91 17:53:31 BST

> Without reopening here the discussion which take place on other lists
> among real experts (i.e. I am not one),

If not you, Micheal, who ...

> I'l make a few comments:
>
> It is important to distinguish between the different parts of the problem
> of character encoding, character representation and character transmission.

The moral of Micheal's masterly exposition seems to be ...
that it will be a long wait for a universal 8-bit encoding.

Meanwhile, TeX, kermit, etc, have shown that 7 bits is enough.
What I'd like is a program for say a Mac
which would print "a fada" on my screen when it reads "a/".
Then those who have such a program would see Irish with fadai\(?).
Those without would see Irish with lots of "/"s, as at present.

It would be easier (as I suggested earlier) to translate "/a" or "'a"
than "a/" since the accent could be simply represented
by a single character of width 0,
and it would just be a matter of / -> fada,
one character substituted for another.

Otherwise the terminal emulator, or whatever,
would have to wait for the next character before moving on,
which I think is not normal.
Eg do any terminal emulators support ligatures, as in ff?
(With ligatures, 'a' + '/' -> another character altogether,
not necessarily typable directly.)

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel: +353-1-2842366 (home/office)