OLD-IRISH-L June 2017

Re: Bretha Crólige 56

Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Jun 2017 06:04:57 +0100

>Ailid cach ben bis hi coir lanamnusa lethbiatad 1 a ceile di i notrus. Alid cach ben tanaisi lanamnusa trianbiathad2
>a ceili di i notrus. Alid cach ben olcena cetrumad biatad {c} 3 a ceile dhi i notrus. ar ni farcbad nech cen dire la Fēne act
>inti adroille olc asa besaibh.4, 5

I have -
Every woman who is in a proper marriage is entitled to half (the) maintenance of her spouse for her in sick maintenance.  Every woman of second marriage is entitled to a third of (the) maintenance of her spouse for her in sick maintenance. Every additional woman is entitled to a fourth of maintenance of her spouse for her in sick maintenance, since a person has not been left without díre in Irish Law except the one who is entitled to misfortune because of their conduct.

From the entry for 'coir  .....Freq. with follg. gen. correctness, correct form (of); proper (legal) arrangement (for); procedure, device, means (of doing someth.):  ....  hi coir lanamnusa `in a proper union'
lánamnas ..relationship between two parties...marriage

tanaisi --  ' tánaise..second'.  Apparently refers to secondary wives, not the chief wife.

I wonder how many wives or concubines these men had? Sounds like the Chinese system, with main wives and concubines.

-farcbad -- conjunct passive perfect singular 'fo-ácaib..leaves'

ad-roilli -- deserves, is entitled to

besaibh -- dative plural 'bés...manner, habit...morals..conduct'

>Glosses --
>1 .i. in primben.
the chief wife

>2 .i. an oireach.
the noble
'oireach' probably = 'aireach' here

>3 ..i. an cartach.
the concubine
'carthach...As subst.....paramour, concubine of a certain grade'

>4 .i. acht inti roairiltniges olc usa {d}  bha-fis gnai no aibinn: fer aslai fine, fer aslui
>flaith, fer aslui eclais.

except the one who has  merited misfortune because of his  (pleasant or delightful knowledge??)   : a man who evades kindred, a man who evades a lord, a man who evades (the) church.

'bha-fis'   maybe a compound of -- 'báe, bá(a)... Freq. in negative constructions and perh. originally meaning something, anything (of consequence, value, etc.) (cf. 1 ní, N 40.53), the meaning profit, etc. being an extension. something advantageous; benefit'

The DIL entry says 'compd. ? baḟis. In pseudo-etym. gloss: corus bescna .i. coir seis, seis choir in bafesa gnae no aibind `the true rule of the pleasant or delightful knowledge', Laws iii 2.5 Comm.'  However their translation of this phrase doesn't seem to fit our context here.

>5 Geall cetraman .vii. cumala fria biathad; dia
>nelaidther uime enoidhchi .vii.mad a marbtha do inn 7 diablad a bid 7
>lo(i)g nenech. Geall .vii. cumal fri tairechtain a legha 7 a focruicthi 7 a
>leptha, 7 a letheneclann do dia nelaidther impo. Geall laneneclainne uadsomh don fir roferustar croligi fair da mbe aonoidhci oige dara sarugad
>iarna leigis, 7 gell bes fiu letheneclainn uadh dia troisce tara biathad coir 7
>dara fotrucchad coir, 7 gell .vii. cumal uad fri taisic in fir doberar ina mama mod.

(The) pledge (is) a fourth part of seven cumals with respect to his maintenance; if he   is evaded from him (it)  (for) one night, a seventh of his killing (?) to him then and a doubling that it will be and a price of honor. A pledge of seven cumals with respect to obtaining his physician and his payment and his harborage, and half his honor-price for him if he is evaded  because of it. A pledge of full honor-price from him to  a man upon whom he has inflicted  blood-lying if if he would have one night in spite of his violation after the physician, and a pledge which would be worth half honor-price from him for his fasting despite his proper maintenance and despite his
proper washing, and a pledge of seven cumals from him with respect to restitution of the man who is brought as a substitute.

geall --  Mosern Irish form of 'gell..pledge, surety'
dia n-  --  'if'  used with subjunctive
elaidther --  looks like a passive subjunctive of 'élaid..escapes, evades, absconds'
DIL says 'élaid' is used with 'imm...that about which the evading takes place' and 'ó, a(s).. person or place absconded from.  Here is what it says about passive use --
"Pass. with subj. of person in whose despite the abscond- ing or evasion takes place: elodh elaither flaith im biadh a case in which a chief is evaded in respect of (supplying) food (an evasion whereby a chief, etc.) Laws ii 196.15 Comm. Cf. ce no elaidhtea im in set 268.7 Comm. , which seems impers. vn. élúd (-ód, -ád), q.v."
Translation here is unclear.

tara, dara --  preposition 'dar, tar..over, across' plus possessive pronoun,   used to mean 'in spite of '  in Laws
da mbe aonoidhchi oige --  I thoight 'oige' was prepositin 'oc' plus 3rd person pronoun here, used with substantive verb to show possession.
I am unsure what 'enoidhchi..aonoidhchi (one night)' refers to here

fotrucchad -- fothrucud..washing (as a rite of hospitality)