XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  February 2017

XML-L February 2017

Developing open business information exchange documents

"G. Ken Holman" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:42:50 -0500

Not all XML-ers enjoy committee work.  Imagine!

It happens that I do, and I have had the privilege to volunteer in a
number of standardization committees over the years related to SGML
and XML projects of different kinds, from markup technology
committees to markup user committees.

A business document interchange specification governs the structure
and expression of information to be exchanged between members of an
industry or economic sector.  I have come to believe that the burden
of developing such a specification is on the users and not on the
technical people supporting them.  Accordingly, these user groups
need processes, techniques and tools to enable subject matter experts
to lead the development of open standardized work products.

I've written an essay on how the Organization for the Advancement of
Structured Information Standards (OASIS) technical committee process
supports a group of members from an industry or economic sector in
creating business exchange document specifications.  The essay is an
adaptation of a response I wrote last year for an RFP for the
development of such an open document standard in XSD for XML.  I
ended up no-bidding the contract because the constraints were not
loose enough to accommodate my proposal.  But my proposal should be
of interest to those just embarking on a project to develop exchange
specifications without pre-conceived constraints.

I illustrate my points using my experience with the OASIS Universal
Business Language Technical Committee that produced the OASIS UBL 2.1
Standard that was subsequently ratified globally as ISO/IEC
19845:2015.  The two normative components of the specification are
the semantics of the information items and the XSD schemas for XML
syntax.  Non-normative deliverables include UML models, ASN.1 schemas
and JSON schemas.

Those not interested in committee work will find this essay an
excellent treatment for insomnia.  But for those of us XML-ers who
are approached by their management or clients regarding the "big
picture" of developing document exchange specifications, maybe even
with the goal of developing an ISO standard for such, I hope you find
this interesting:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/developing-open-business-information-exchange-documents-ken-holman

cc: XML Dev, XML-L, W3C XML Schema, UBL Dev

--
UBL introduction lecture - Exchange Summit - Orlando, FL - 2017-04-24 |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training @US$45: http://goo.gl/Dd9qBK |