Help for CSOUND Archives

CSOUND Archives

CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CSOUND Home

CSOUND  January 2016

CSOUND January 2016

Re: Does Csound have multicore capabilities?

MarieCurie <[log in to unmask]>

A discussion list for users of Csound <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Jan 2016 06:57:14 -0700

well, I just learnt about Csound shortly before Xmas when I was discussing
some problems with my project with a sound engineer from the TV. For the
framework which I used so far which is primitive compared to Csound (and not
supported since long) but had the capability of being accessed via script
which is needed for my project. For this software I’ve written C code which
does the simulation of a virtual room producing multichannel (surruound 5.1)
output. This code allows for different multichannel panning schemes (similar
to those in EXAMPLE 05B1 and eqn. 3 from V. Pulkki's article for the stereo
case) and calculates the reverberation to a desired order of reflections
depending on the dimensions of the virtual room, the reflectivity and the
positions of the source and the sweet spot. The path of the source can be
steered by a string for a valid arithmetic expression (standard arithmetics
including the standard C-functions) such that the source can be moved almost
freely in (x,y) coordinates of the virtual room. This code yields
information on

- the angle (or position) of the source,
- the distance dependent volume,
- the position dependent time delay between direct and reflected signals,
- the position dependent volume ratio between direct and reflected signals,
- the informations on the room contained in the reflections,
- the information on the movement (Doppler effect and beats which differ for
the different channels because of different relative velocities w.r.t. the
different walls).

As far as I understand by not he multichannel packages VBAP and Ambisonic
address the first two points only. As far as I've understood Puckki's
article and the source code of VBAP in Csound it does the panning of the
phantom sources only between neighbouring loudspeakers which means you are
not able to put a phantom source at any position. This should be possible
with Ambisonic however it also does not include item 3-6 from the list
above. I certainly will have a look to this code.

An example of a source @440Hz moving with a velocity of 4m/sec in a room
with (x,y) 20m x 50m (speed of sound 343,2 m/sec) for 5.1 channels
(L-R-C-LFE-SL-SR) is shown below. One nicely sees the source passing the
sweet spot until it reaches the wall behind the listener then it slowly
moves until it reaches the right back corner, where it stops. (For
visualisation I've used Praat)
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/n5745829/440HzDopplerSchwebung.jpg>

-----
cheers,