Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

OLD-IRISH-L Home

OLD-IRISH-L  June 2015

OLD-IRISH-L June 2015

Scéla Mongáin ocus Echdach Rígéicis Revised Summary

Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:31:50 +0100

I got a few comments on the summary of this, here is a revision.

1. Eochaid rigeiges, ardfili na hErend,  robai Fiachna Mac Boetan oca
chuired chucai do eicsi do, ar ba ri Ul(ad) in Fiachna 7 ba di Ultaib in
tEochaid.
Eochaid royal scholar, high poet of Ireland,  Fíachna  mac Báetáin was
inviting him because of his learnedness, since Fíachna was the king of
Ulster and Eochaid was of the Ulstermen.

2. "Nicon beosa it farrad," or Eochaid,  "sech cach rig do righaib Er(enn), ar
ata mac an lat .i. Mongan mac Fíachna."
‘I may not be in your company,’ said Eochaid, ‘beyond any king of the
kings of Ireland, since you have a wonderful son, that is Mongán mac
Fíachna.’

3. "Isse macc dian lia eolus in Erind.  Biaitse oc scelaib 7 oc eolus.  Doberat
in drochdaine fair frithtuideacht frimsa."
“He is the the best- informed youth in Ireland.  He will be (known for)
stories and knowledge.  The evil people will get him to oppose me."

4. "Dob(er)sa miscaid fair.  Bid debaid latso frimsa an ní sin."  "Natho," or
Fiachna, "acelaitsi mo macc cona ti fritso.  Is e bus mine fritso isin teaglach
sa."
"I will bring a curse upon him.  That will be strife for you against
me."  "No," said Fíachna, "I will talk to my son so that he doesn't come
against you. It is he who will be the most courteous to you in this
household."

5. "Maith," or Eochaid. "Dogentar.  Bid ammin co cend mbliadna."  Baiseom
laa n-ann oc indisin eoluis.  "Olc duid, a Mongain," ar na gilla, "cen eleghad
in bachlaig oc rad na góa."
 "Good," said Eochaid. "It will done. It will be thus until the year's end."
One day he  was expounding knowledge.
 "[It's] wrong of you, O Mongán," said the youths, "not to be contradicting
the ignoramous  [who is] speaking falsehood."

 6.  "Maith, " or Mongan.  Luid Fiachna for cuairt rig 7 Eochu lais.  A mbátar
laa n-and fora  n-eraim co n-acatar se choirthi cloichi mora ara cind 7
cethrur maccleireach im na coirthi.
“Good,” said Mongán.  Fíachna went on a kingly circuit and Eochaid with
him.  One day when they were  on their journey they saw six big pillar
stones before them and four young clerics about the pillars.

7 -8. "Cid dogni andsin, a chlerchi?" or Fiachnai.  "Ataum sund oc
cuindchidh fhis 7 eolais donuc Dia dund íar(um) rigeices hErenn .i. Eochaid
dia gleodh dus cia noshaith na lecasa 7 cia rosaralta."
"What is happening  here, o clerics, said Fíachna". "We are here to seek
wisdom and learning,  thereupon God has brought him to us: the Sage-
king of Ireland, Eochaid, for its explication in order to know who planted
these stones and for whom they were placed.”

9. "Amain," or Eochaid, " nicon fil for m(e)nmain damsa sin uile.  Ba doich
lim bad Cland Deadhaid donuargaibset do denam Chathrach Chonrai."
"So," said Eochaid, "I can't remember all the details.  It seemed to me that
it was Clann Deadhaid who raised it for (the) making of Cathair Chon Roí."

10.  "Maith, a a Eochaid," ar fer dib. Atberad na
maccleirich, “immotralasu.”  “Na cairig, " or araile.  "Bes is anfhis do," ar a
chele.  "Is anfis do, " ar araile.
"Well,  O Eochaid," said one of the men. The young clerics say “ it has
flummoxed you".  “Don’t blame him”  said another.  "Maybe he doesn't
know ", said his companion. "He doesn't know " said another.

11.  “Maith," or Eochaid, "ocus sibsi, caidi bar n-edirgleod-si diib? "  "Is he
ar n-eolus-ni am: tri lic andso niathbuidne 7 tri liic lathbuidne."
“Well,” said Eochaid, “and you guys, what is your interpretation of
them?” “It is OUR understanding indeed, here are three standing stones of
a champion band, and three standing stones of a warrior band.”

12-14.  “Conall Cernach roda-la la hIlland MacFergusa a romarb triar sund
da cet gaisced atrai a lechta do turcbail ar a oiti.  Condathuarcaib Conall
Cernach leis ar ba besad do Ult(aib): ait a ndendais a cetgaisced,
turcbaitis  a corthi ind lina romarbdais.   Is aircseo, a Eochaid,  lat ainfiuss."
"It is Conall Cernach who placed them, along with Illand son of Fergus. He
killed a trio of men here for his first feat of arms.  He was unable to raise
their monuments on account of his youth, so that Conall Cernach raised
them with him, for it was the custom for the Ulstermen:  where they used
to perform their first feat of arms, they used to raise stones for the number
that they had killed.  And go, O Eochaid, with your ignorance."

15. "Ni bad imdergad lat, a Eochaid," or Fiachna  “Na bad  cub(di)  let na
scolaige.”  Tiagait fora remim in chetna co n-acadar maelraith moir a cind 7
cethror oclach co n-etaigib corcrai ara dorus.  Taidlig Eochaid in lis.
"It should not  be an embarrassment for you, O Eochaid," said
Fíachna, "that the scholars be not  in agreement with you."  They go on
their way in the same manner until they saw a large deserted ringfort
ahead, and a quartet of young men with purple clothes before its door.
Eochaid approaches the forecourt.

16. "Maith," or Fiachna. "Cid as ail duib?" "Ail dun a fhis o Eochaid, cisi rath-
so 7 cia ro-bai indi?"
 "Sochaide lasa ndentar ratha," or Eochaid, "co nach talla for m(en)
main." "Leic uait or is anfis do," ar a chele.
“Well,” says Fiachna, “what do you wish?” “We wish to know, from
Eochaid, which rath this is and who was in it.” “It is a numerous crowd by
whom ringforts are built”, said Eochaid,  “so that there is not room for it on
the mind.”  "Give it up, because he doesn't know," said his companion.

17.  "Cade bar n-eolus didiu?" or Fiachna. "Ni hansa am.
 Cian o do bi meadar mas
 oc ol meda a curn glas
isinn imscing ar aithchi (ar [a fh]aithchi])/ a Raith Chi),
7 ni thucais a (h)ainm iar suidiu, a Eochaid."
"What is your information, then?" said Fíachna. "It is not difficult, indeed:
'[It is] long since he was -fine merriment!-
drinking mead from a grey drinking-horn
in the pavilion at night (on its green/in Raith Chi)
and you have not grasped its name after that, O Eochaid."

18.  "Maith didiu," or Eochaid. Tiagaid ass iar sin co n-acadar raith aile ara
cind 7 cethror macam ina dorus oc imresain. "Is firu damsa, ni firiu
duidsiu." "Cid tathai, a maccu?" or Fiachna.
"Good then," said Eochaid. They go away after that until they saw  another
rath in front of them, and four boys in its doorway arguing."I am right.
You are wrong." "What is the matter, boys?" said Fiachna.

19. "Oc imresain atam dus cissi rath so 7 cia las roclassa ind raith so.
Dofuc Dia dun iarum in
fer cen anfhis it(ir) Dia relad dun. "
"We are arguing to find out what ringfort this is and (who it is) by whom
this ringfort was built—then God brought to us the  man entirely without
ignorance to make it manifest to us."

20-21. "Nacha n-imderg," ar a chele.  "Is anfis do." "Cade didiu bar fisse"
or Fiachnai.
"Ni hansa immurgu.
Cian o thessaigthe in tslatt
Do fhir rocheachlaid Raith Imgatt.
Immgat ainm na mna rodagart
Ingen Buise MacDidracht.
Raith Immgat a ainm iarum, a Eochaid 7 ni bo sirsan duid a ainbfhis."
"Don't embarrass him," said his companion.  "He doesn't know."
"Then what is your information?" said Fiachna. "That is easy indeed.
(It is) long since the rod (the bath?) was heated
 for the man who built Rath Imgatt.
Immgat (was) the name of the woman who named it,
daughter of Buise MacDidracht (Folly, son of Weak?)
"Rath Immgat is its name then, Eochaid, and it was unfortunate that you
didn't know it."

22. Rohimdergad iarum in ti Eochaid. "Cumma duid, a Eochaid" or
Fiachnai.  "Ni ba lugaidi do
grad."  Tiagaid iarum dia mbaile fessin.
Then Eochaid blushed.  " 'It's all the same to you,  Eochaid." said
Fiachna.  "Your reputation will not be the lesser."  Then they go to their
own home.

23. "Mongan cona muinter istaig ara cind.  "Maith," or Eochaid, "tusu
doronne suut, a Mongain, rofhetarsa."  "Is tu atrubairt," ar Mongan.
Mongán (was) with his retinue inside ahead of them.
"Good" said Eochaid, " (it is) you who has done that, O Mongán, I know."
 "(It is) you who has said (it)" said Mongán.

24-25. "Ni faigebtha maith, didiu " or Eochaid, "faicebsa ailig fort dara eisi.
In t-anius ro-mor tuargabais fort.  Bethir  cen ainius dara eisi.  Nicon bia
acht eachbachlaich uait 7 ni ba mor itir faicebtha athgabail 7 nicon festar
tarat de fen issed sin do(no) tall  degiartaige o Mongain Mac Fiachnai.
Finit."
"You would not have gotten any good from it, indeed," said Eochaid. "I will
leave a curse on you as a consequence of it. The great pleasure you have
constructed for yourself, you will be without pleasure on account of it.
There will be nothing but horse-boys [descended] from you. And not great
will be the farmland that you will leave as inheritance and nothing shall be
known about you on account of that."
And it is that, moreover, which took good-legacyfrom Mongán son of
Fíachna.  The End.

Eleanor Knott's  transcription here --
http://www.ucd.ie/tlh/text/ek.eriu.8.001.text.html
Her translation  --  http://www.ucd.ie/tlh/trans/ek.eriu.8.001.t.text.html