Help for HEANET-FAULTS Archives

HEANET-FAULTS Archives

HEANET-FAULTS@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HEANET-FAULTS Home

HEANET-FAULTS  October 2013

HEANET-FAULTS October 2013

[HEAnet #229209] Extended Webhosting Platform Outage

HEAnet NOC <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:55:39 +0100

Ticket Number: HEAnet/20131008-229209  Ticket Status: OPEN
Ticket Type:   unscheduled             Resolver:      HEANET (HEAnet)
Ticket Opened: 2013-10-08 16:57:38     Problem Start: 2013-10-10 05:00:00
Ticket Update: 2013-10-25 11:55:37     Problem End:   2013-10-10 07:00:00

Site/line: CMETB, COA, DCU, DIT, HEA, HEANET, HRB, IOTI, ITTALLAGHT, IUA, NCI, NUIG, NUIM, QQI, RCPI, RCSI, RIA, TCD, UCC, UCD, UL

Services:
Website Hosting

Problem Description:
We will be undertaking some database optimisation works on the webhosting platform, to help the server better handle the increasing load placed upon it.

This will involve rebuilding the database tables, as well as tweaking MySQL settings. To facilitate this, we will need to stop the web service so that nothing is reading from or writing to the databases.

Problem Effects:
Websites will be unavailable while the optimisation is being performed.

Last Update:
20131025 11:55 CQ Hi,
The web hosting platform will be unavailable from 21:00 tonight until
09:00 Saturday morning. There is an at risk that the work may require
longer. Updates will be provided at 09:00 Saturday, 26th October if
there is any requirement to extend the maintenance window.
Kind regards.

Problem History:
20131008 16:57 BMA Opened ticket to notify clients.

20131010 09:26 BMA This work was started this morning at 07:14, with access being restored
to Plesk sites at 09.08.
Further work will be scheduled for the future, as due to the large amount
of data, only ~40% of the databases could be rebuilt for optimal
operation.

20131010 12:28 CQ Hello,
An urgent restart of the database service in the HEAnet web hosting
environment is required immediately to deal with some additional over
head causing performance issues with customer web sites.
Access to hosted websites will affected for 5-10 minutes.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Kind regards.

20131010 12:39 CQ Hello,
The restart of the web hosting database service has been completed.
Kind regards.

20131011 10:16 BMA Further work on the optimisation of the Plesk platform shall be done
overnight this weekend, from Saturday 20:00 until Sunday 09:00. Websites
shall be offline for the duration of this work so that the database can
be rebuilt without interruption.

20131012 19:59 CQ Hello,
Web hosting services will be offline from 20:00 for optimisation work.
Kind regards.

20131018 10:28 CQ Hi,
There is planned maintenance for the HEAnet web hosting platform
schedule for this weekend. This will result in the hosted websites being
unavailable during the follow periods:
 - Friday 18th 23:00 - 07:00
 - Saturday 19th 23:00 - 07:00
 - Sunday 20th 23:00 - 07:00
Kind regards.

20131022 10:29 CQ Fail over of the web hosting platform is scheduled for tomorrow morning
between 07:00 and 10:00.
Kind regards.

20131023 09:05 CQ We are experiencing some problems with our shared web hosting platform
this morning. We are dealing with the vendor for a resolution and we
will update our clients in the next hour with our status.

20131023 10:02 CQ Our web hosting software vendor has identified the issue and is working
to resolve the problem. Our ticket with them is priority 1 and we will
update everyone as we are provided more information.

20131023 10:42 CQ Further updates from the vendor to inform us that the issue is still
under investigation but that progress is being made and they are still
working on the error. They will be in touch very soon.

20131023 12:33 OMG Hi all,
    Apologies for the extended outage to our webhosting platform. We are actively
working on the issues with Parallel's support and are escalating the issue with our
account manager there.
The problem appears to be with Plesk core packages that became corrupted when we
ran a scheduled software update this morning before our planned failover tests.
We will update as soon as we have any further information. Apologies again for the
outage, we hope to be back up and running as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Orla

20131023 15:32 CQ Parallels support support has identified the corrupt files from the core
packages and is progressing through a restore procedure. We can see
improvements in access to the Plesk Panel again but web site content
still remains off line. We will update again further when there is
additional progress.
Kind regards.

20131023 17:06 OMG Hi all,
   Most sites are back online now. If you are still experiencing problems please contact
us.
Parallels discovered that there were lots of files in /opt/psa/admin/plib from Plesk
Panel version 11.0.9 and also some binaries and other files from version 11.0.9 in other
directories that should have been version 11.5.
They copied over the correct files from plesk-core packages which restored access to
the Control Panel. We were still seeing 404 Bad Gateway errors for most subscriptions
at this stage and alerted Parallels to the fact that additional binaries for dnsmng and
listmng were missing. Once these binaries were restored we ran these commands which
restored most websites.
Parallel's are continuing to investigate to find the root cause. We will continue to
monitor here, and will update to let you know of any remaining issues.
Apologies again to all affected by the outage.
Best regards,
Orla

20131023 23:49 BMA All sites have now been restored, and we will be investigating further in
the morning to ensure full functionality.
If you or your users encounter any unusual behaviour, please let us know.

--
This ticket can be monitored at https://ticketing.heanet.ie/rt/public/show.html?id=229209

HEAnet Limited. Registered in Ireland, no 275301