Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  August 2013

IRTRAD-L August 2013

Re: Cylinder Recordings of Irish Traditional Music: An exhibition

"Gregor E. Griegoleit" <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:44:12 -0400

Dear Maeve Gebruers,

thank you for keeping me in touch with the archive! I am German and live outside Hamburg. 1998 was the last time, I was over in Ireland with my wife. We spent all our holidays going to Ireland, 23 years in run, before that date, made loads of friends and met loads of musicians, I played the wooden flute and the C#/D box then. My wife got ill, multiple sklerosis, now she is, since two months, in an old peoples nursery, and ..... I will have more time again for IRTRAD! So I hope! Will take the old rusted and dusted box out again! And the oxydated old FENTUM-flute, if my breath allows! Years ago I sent a CD to you, "Boreen", and I found it listed in your archive! Good! The so called "diaspora": an Irish girl singing the songs, Germans playing fiddle, pipes, flute, box, etc.!

I was isolated, but the love for Irish traditional music didn't let me loose! If you are caught once, this 'virus' will never let you loose! Hundreds of tunes still circle in your mind, you humm them on your way to work, Even when isolated in Germany, and not playing them on your instruments! This 'virus' is still active!! I feed him by watching tg4 and Youtube and other related sources!.

I am 62 years now, and my greatest wish is to go over to Ireland again, meet old friends, if they are still alive, play music with them, learn new tunes directly, especially Northern Ireland! My wife and I once fled from the Republic, far too crowded with German tourists!

     Troubles in the North, where these German 'anglers / drinkers' never would dare to go! We dared! Apart from the usual misunderstandings or provokations of the British soldiers then: "Next time we will shoot you, if you drive too fast and ignore our sign!" (There were no signs!!!!!), we had great times: very nice People for B&B, protestant or catholic, sessions, a very good session in Tyrone: catholics and protestant, they all wanted to meet next weekend again, but .... in Belfast went, during the week, a bomb off, and me tourist turned up, just to find no musician!!!! All scared!

My political opinion:   Religion is rubbish, it's the heart of the individual, that counts!

Personal troubles! I have to stop!

All da Best!

Gregor (nickname) Ernst Griegoleit