Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Araile anchore, part 8
From: Marion Gunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:56:29 +0100

Scríobh 03/04/2012 16:55, CANDICE MCGOVERN:
> In John Strachan's "Old-Irish Paradigms" page 98, do-án(a)ic is shown as preterite and perfect of do-icc "comes," deuterotonic, 3 singular.

I know, Candice. It's the extra "n" in the text as posted on O-I-L that
bothers me. I don't see where that "n" comes from. I'd have expected
either no "n" there (nothing at all where "n" appears in the final line
of the quoted msg below) or simply "r" in the same place. Does that make
any sense to you?
mg

> The section on do-icc (page 95) begins "In this verb and the following the deuterotonic forms are commonly replaced by the prototonic, except when an infixed pronoun or rel. n is inserted.
>
> Candice

Marion Gunn * eGteo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
Bhóthair, An Charraig Dhubh,
Co. Átha Cliath, Éire/Ireland.
* [log in to unmask] * [log in to unmask] *