Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Araile anchore, part 6
From:CANDICE MCGOVERN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:22:38 -0400

Bergin's :

Atraig iarum. Feccais for cúi & maircenaich. 'Romma[i]rc
mas ar naidche' , olsesom.

Bergin's with MSS line and space breaks :

Atraig
iarum. Feccais forcúi
&mairctenaich.    'Rom
ma[i]rcmas arnaidche' ,
olsesom.

He rises then. He begins weeping and lamenting. 'Woe to me if it is our night', said he.

*****

atraig - eDIL at-reig indic pres 3 sg : rises, goes
iarum - adv + suffixed pro 3 m. n. Thurneysen p. 275 : then, afterwards, later
feccais for - eDIL feccaid ā  (c) followed by for or oc : sets about, begins
cúi - eDIL caí f Vn of ciīd : weeping, wailing, lamentation
& ocus : and
mairctenaich - eDIL mairgtenach f ā mourning, lamenting
romma[i]rc - eDIL mairg (mairc) subst moircc ; I (f) occasionally preceded by ro- and inf pronoun as though a verb :
   ro-m-ma[i]rc : woe to me
mas - eDIL má B. with copula : if it is              someone may have a better / more correct thought here
ar - possessive pronoun plural nasalizing : our
n-aidche - eDIL adaig later also aidche f iā gen sg : night
olsesom - eDIL When folld. by a pron. as
subj. the forms ol-se, -sí, -siat : says, said, quoth
              - Thurneysen p. 255 § 408 a nominative pronoun is also contained in olse (later olsé) ' says, said he ' ,
                emphatic olse-som : says, said he

Candice