Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Araile anchore, part 3
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:08:02 +0000

On 21 Mar 2012 at 9:24, Dennis King wrote:

> >> doluidd duaid iarum aidchi roboi cucu innan dunad
>
> > DIL itself does a couple different things with the phrase. Under 1
> > co (prep
> > + acc) (C-272.74) they translate the phrase aidchi roboi cucu "that
> > night".
> > I assume the analysis is something like "on (the) night which was
> > upon them".
>
> That can't be right.  "Cucu" goes naturally with "doluidd": "went to
> them".

I concede that this is a natural analysis, but I would also point out
that the direction and aim of David's going is already expressed by
"inna ndĂșnad". So "cucu" could be free to belong to another clause.
My first assumption was that "aidchi roboi cucu" was a construction
similar to ModIr. "an tseachtain seo chugainn".

David