Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Araile anchore, part 5
From: Aaron Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:19:16 +0100

Hey everyone,

>> So literally: nicon-d(a)·accae = not-her·has seen ("her" agreeing
>> grammically with the feminine noun "aislince")
>
>This is the most natural interpretation, but I wonder how regularly
>elision of the vowel of -da occurs. Thurneysen's grammar has no
>example for it, but contains one instance where the vowel is actually
>retained: doda·aidlea "who visits her" (Wb 9d5). Alternatively, we
>would have to read the -d as the neuter infixed pronoun, which
>wouldn't fit so well.

Milan has some contracted and some uncontracted examples of vowels with -da
(although the examples are with 3pl -da, not 3sg fem. -da, though these
behave the same in Old Irish):

with contraction:
30c17: feib dundalla indib (verb doella / doalla)
            "as there is room for them in them"
66d18: a n-imdaig dia (verb immaig)
           "when God drives them"

without contraction:
59c10: huare &#596;da airleci sn (verb conairleici)
           "that is, because You (sg) allow them)
43b14: conda arleg fiad dia hitempul (verb arlga)
           "and he read them out before God in the temple
104a6: condaarthroithad dia (verb artrotha)
           "that God might restrain them"
123c3: dudanac innarga (verb doic, pret / perf donaic)
          "which had come to them, the kings"

On the other hand, the neuter infixed pronoun is sometimes used with
non-neuter nouns. Ml 123b15 even has an example with a plural noun:

atindided moisi hua briathraib inna retu
Moses used to declare the things by words

-t-: 3sg nt infixed pronoun Class B
inna retu: acc pl of rt (m, u) "thing"

This is the only example I know with a plural, but others exist with
gendered nouns (Wb 15a34, Ml 128c3, 131d12, maybe Sg 7a10).

I don't know that I have helped us come to a decision either way about our
passage here. Both suggestions (3g nt or 3sg fem + contraction) are attested
in Old Irish.

All the best,
Aaron