Re: Araile anchore, part 1

Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:50:38 +0000

Dennis King wrote:

>>> Note the use of the "ceann faoi eite" sign

Thanks, Dennis,
      I was amply punished for missing that by having to spend a lot of time
trying to figure out 'rob'.

     I can't take credit for all of this because I saw snippets of the
transcription in DIL.

     Araile anchore roboí hi cluain maco nois lasrain a ainm, imnoct, imdilmain,
cen ní fora chubus hé dano hi llobre galir.

A certain hermit was in Clonmacnoise, Lasrain (was) his name, stark naked,
unencumbered, without a thing on his conscience. He also (was) in weakness
of an illness.

imnoct -- 'imnocht..stark naked'

imdilmain --there is a mark above the second 'i' but I cannot tell if it is a
fada -- 'imdílmain...wholly free, unencumbered' DIL goes on to quote
 ' imnoct, imdilmain cen ní fora chubus ' and translate it "quite bare and free
(from sin?)"

cen ní fora chubus -- without a thing on his conscience. In Modern
Catholicism, the phrase 'nothng on his conscience' refers to a person being
free from sin. Not sure if it means the same thing here.

 cubus -- DIL lists this as a combination of 'com + fis', translates
it 'conscience' but also says "in the phrase 'for cubus the sense approximates
to that of 'for commus' ( my note 'commus' -- power, ability)

lobre -- variant of 'lobrae..weakness, infirmity, sickness"

galir -- 'galar' disease,illness Liz

 Liz