Help for SEANCHAS-L Archives

SEANCHAS-L Archives

Re: [OLD-IRISH-L] (Fwd) Picture with evil eye

Helen McKay <[log in to unmask]>

List for Scholars and Students of Gaelic Folk Traditions <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:02:28 +0000

Richard
moving to this list ...
would you say the 'squat' one is roundish? I'm thinking here of the two
stones outside the west entrance of Knowth, one round the
other 'phallic' - long and with a square cross section which the Bodh
Fergus at Tara also has, if you're game to feel it up lol. This doublet is
found elsewhere in the world and stands for the female (round) and
male (long - and yes square :-) .

OK, cant help it, got to tell you this story, just in case you're tempted
to think our ancestors a bit strange to carve square phalluses. Its a
true tale. Told to me by an aunt, one of those red-haired, fine-boned
Irish girls, with the will to match. She had the audacity in her day to do
the unthinkable, she fell in love with a Chinese guy, Uncle R. lovely
chap, but in those days Chinese residents here couldnt even get
citizenship, it wasnt the time or place. But not to be bothered, she
decided to present her beau to the family, and you can imagine the Irish
gathering that resulted. After the meal, she was called into the back
room where the great aunts of the clan had gathered, and she was told,
well, we can certainly see that he's a fine young man and we really do
understand why you've fallen in love with him... but ... dear, you cant
marry him.... you see dear, we're round, and they're square, dear, it
just wont fit!

And if you think that is wierd just remember the Chinese thought
western women wore skirts to hide their primitive tail. And so on it
goes...

Oh, to tell you the outcome of the story, just then the Japanese
bombed Darwin, and they all jumped into anything moveable, and as a
young women, Aunt P. drove across the country, a great adventure,
after which she married her man and they lived a long and happy life
together, the end part of which I was happy to be a small part of.

Helen