Here is our translation; I had to do two installments to fit the list's word limit
for posts. I put a question mark by words that were uncertain and variant
readings into .
LU transcription is here http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G301900/text008.html
1. Flidais, the wife of Ailill Find, lived in the territory of Ciarraige.She loved
Fergus Mac Roich on account of his famous exploits.
2. Messengers would go from her to him regularly at the end of each week.
3. Then when he came to Connacht, he told that to Ailill.
4. "What will I do here," said Fergus, ?" [(EG/LFF) “I am loth to destroy your
land' said Fergus.] "so that there may not be a loss of your honor or of your
name. "What will we do about it indeed?", said Aillil.
5.” Medb and I will consider (sending) someone from us to Ailill Find to help
6. “And since someone has to go to him, it might as well be you. The
request will be better that way.”
7. Fergus goes out then (with) his thirty warriors,
8. (including) the two Ferguses and Dubthach, until they were at Ath Feni in
the north of the territory of Ciarraigi.
9. They go to the fort. A welcome is extended to them.
10. “What brings you here?” said Ailill Find.
11. “So that we might stay for a visit with you," said Fergus, "because we
have a conflict with Ailill mac Magach.”
12. "If it had been one of your men who had come in (such) a contention, he
could have stayed with me until he had reached (?) a peace settlement."
[LL/EG/LFF "You certainly won't stay with me. If it were one of your folk,
however, he would stay."]
13. “Indeed you won't stay,” said Ailill Find, “I am told that my woman loves
14."Grant a request to us, then, of cows" said Fergus, "for we are forced
to maintain the army [that] came into exile with us."
15. “You will not get a favour (= carry away a gift) from me,” said
he,“because you do not stay for a visit with me." [LL/EG/LFF "You will not get
a favour (= carry away a gift) from me, said Ailill (Finn), if you stay for a visit
16."Someone will say that it is on account of my wife's protection that I would
give you what you ask for."
17. “They will be given beef and bacon for their food if it pleases you
then.”[LL/EG/LFF “along with a suitable ration of ale for their dinner.”]
18. “I will not eat your food, however,” said Fergus, “since I do not bear
19. “Out of the yard/ringfort with you all then!” said Ailill.
“You will have that, said Fergus. “We will not besiege you.”[EG/LFF "(Let) a
man (go) in front of the ford for me", said Ailill.]
20. They set out.
21. “Let a man meet me in the ford in front of the yard/ringfort at
22. "You will not be refused that on account of my honor," said Ailill.
[LL ”I will go myself,” he said.] He comes into the ford to meet him.
23. “Dubthach," said Fergus, "who among us will go to face the man?"
24. “I'll go,” said Dubthach. “I'm younger and I'm more nimble(?) than you
are.” Dubthach goes to meet him.
25. Dubthach strikes a spear through him, that is, through Ailill, and it went
through his two thighs.
26. He hurls a spear at Dubthach so that the shaft goes through him.
27. Fergus puts a shield across Dubthach. He strikes into Fergus's shield so
that the shaft goes through himself.
28. Fergus [LL/LFF Fergus mac Oenlama] [EG Fergus mac Oenlaimi Gaibi &
Fergus himself] steps forward. Fergus mac Óenláimi takes the aforementioned
shield. Ailill strikes a spear into the aforementioned one and it went through
29.He throws (it) [LL/LFF Ailill throws a spear] so that he was lying upon his
30. Flidais steps forward out of the fort and she puts her cloak over those
31. Then Fergus's people are put to flight, and Ailill goes after them.
32. Twenty warriors of them are slain by him. Seven of them escape to
Cruachan Aí and they tell the entire story there then to Ailill and to Medb.
33. Then Ailill and Medb and (the) nobles of Connacht and the Ulster exiles as
well rise. They proceed into the territory of Ciarraige Aí with their bands as far
as Ath Fene.
34 Meanwhile, the severely wounded men had been taken into the ringfort by
Flidais and her curative treatment was performed by her. Then the armies
come to the ringfort
.35. Ailill Find is called out from the ringfort to Ailill mac Mata for a
36. “I won't come”, he says. “It's great his pride and his arrogance of the man
who is there.”