Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Stowe Missal f. 67v third spell 3
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:48:21 +0000

On 11 Dec 2011 at 23:38, Liz Gabay wrote:

> >9. taber do fual inai
> >
>       I don't see this phrase 'i n-aí' in DIL or CELT but could 'aí' be
> the "possessive pronoun 3rd singular and 3rd plural of all genders"?   The
> dictionary entry has examples of use with the article 'inna n-aí, a naí'  but I
> don't see it used following the preposition 'i' without the article.

I am doubtful. If I am not misled, the examples with the article are
all from the glosses, so they could be artificial attempts to render
Latin constructions (and in most or all they actually do translate
Latin constructions for which no suitable Irish parallel was at
hand).

In native Irish sources, "aí" is used in the following constructions:

1. as predicate of the copula
2. after quantifying pronominals like "cech", "cechtar" or "indala"

I couldn't see any example of it after a preposition (not only "i",
but any preposition).

>    Would translate something like ''put your urine into his/theirs/hers''.

The only point of reference that emerges from the preceding text
would be the three pigs. So mix your urine with that of three matures
swine?

>   I also noticed that 'naí' was a common variant spelling of 'noí' (nine).

That is later Irish and not relevant for the period we are looking
at.

David