Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: a bit of ogam in the modern world
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:26:02 -0700

Catherine Swift wrote:

> In Letter 4, the X shape should cross the central line rather than
> being to one side

You're right, of course.  I'm just thrilled that they got the rest
right, especially the direction of reading, from bottom to top.

> but the original symbol is really more of lenited c as in Scottish
> loch. There is a tradition in secondary ogam literature of using K
> to transcribe the symbol which is found on pre-apocope stones such
> as Ballintaggart in Co. Kerry but the (late) Killaloe stone suggests
> that one should use C or Q always to transliterate K.

Yep.  But since they have a -ck- series, and they got the 'c' right,
there is little harm done with the 'k'.  It strikes me, in fact, as
just the sort of screw up we might expect in a late scholastic line of
ogham in a MS.

> Your guy has an interesting mix since he also has the later vowels
> with the long strokes. Did you ask him where he got the alphabet?

Nope.  I haven't been in contact.  I just lifted the image from their
web site.  As I mentioned on the blog, I just happened to see a van of
theirs passing on the street one day, and said "Wow!"

By the way, I just now finally got an ogham font up and running on my
Mac (OS X).  It is included in the free Quivira package which I just
downloaded:

http://www.quivira-font.com/

I can't keyboard the ogam, but I can transfer the letters to a
document one by one by double-clicking on them in the Character
Palette on the Mac.

I don't suppose anyone else will be able to see the following line
correctly, but here goes:

᚛ᚈᚑᚅᚌᚒ ᚃᚑ ᚋᚑ ᚁᚏᚐᚈᚈᚐᚅ

:-)

Dennis