Subject: mountains for cattle
From: John Bonsing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:11:16 +0100

On Fiona's thread, Helen queried: "But what is puzzling me here, is that for
the main areas of Ireland that I've seen, the notion of taking the cattle to
the high country over summer, doesnt seem to make sense from a geographical
context... etc"

Thought that this would deserve some frazzing and found on CELT the .sgml
document www.ucc.ie/celt/texts/E780001-001.sgml that you need to open with a
text editor...
"Writings by Arthur Young Arthur Young, A Six Weeks' Tour through the
Southern Counties of England and Wales, 1768, and A Tour in Ireland"

July 22. Left Dundalk, took the road through Ravensdale to Mr. Fortescue, to
whom I had a letter, but unfortunately he was in the South of Ireland. Here
I saw many good stone and slate houses, and some bleach greens; and I was
much pleased to see the inclosures creeping high up the sides of the
mountains, stony as they are. Mr. Fortescue 's situation is very romantic—on
the side of a mountain, with fine wood hanging on every side, with the lawn
beautifully scattered with trees spreading into them, and a pretty river
winding through the vale, beautiful in itself, but trebly so on information
that before he fixed there it was all a wild waste. Rents in Ravensdale ten
shillings; mountain land two shillings and sixpence to five shillings. Also
large tracts rented by villages, the cottars dividing it among themselves,
and making the mountain common for their cattle.

There is the superlative poem "May Day" Cétemain, cain cucht, sung by
salmon-cooking-thumb-sucking-newly-inspired Finn...
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G400052/text001.html
here he sings "the mountain, supplying rich sufficiency carries off the cattle"

Pococke's Tour in Ireland in 1752
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/E750002-001.html
I ascended a high hill which is the point that makes the Bay of Glenarme,
and struck out of the road to the east, to go through Lord Antrim's little
park, which is the most beautiful and romantick ground I ever beheld; it is
the very point which makes the bay to the north, and is a hanging ground
over the sea, from which there is a steep ascent, it may be of fifty yards,
on which there is a wood, then there is an uneven lawn with some wood in
several parts and rocks rising up so as that at a distance, some of them
appear like ruins of Castles, then there is a very steep ascent, not less
than 80 or 90 yards high cover'd with wood, this leads to a lawn, and going
on towards the north the point of ground rises higher and terminates in a
beautiful mount which commands a fine prospect, where My Lord often dines:
further to the north is another height, all the hanging ground from them
beautifully cover'd with wood: above this lawn which is within these heights
is the perpendicular rock, at least an hundred yards in height, out of which
shrubs and trees grow in a most beautiful manner; the ascent up to the door
of the park at a lower part of the hill is difficult; above this height is
the road from Larne to Glenarme and they tell many extraordinary stories of
men and cattle that have fall'n down these precipices and have not been much
hurt...

so just thought to share these...

what constitutes a mountain... well you can climb up a hill, and.... :)

cheers,
John