Help for UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  August 2011

UCD-STAFFORDBEER August 2011

Re: ten page reflections of Harrison Owen posted

Stuart Umpleby <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:31:46 -0400

Allenna,  Many thanks for a VERY informative reply.  Given the fact
that those of us who have used some form of facilitation agree that
any form of facilitation is an improvement over usual meetings (e.g.,
Roberts Rules of Order), what activities are underway to encourage
more use of group facilitation?  My impression is that facilitators
continually search for paying clients.
1.  Is there a mgt literature that shows the utility of group
facilitation?  I usually follow a facilitation exercise with a
questionnaire.  The results are always positive -- it was useful, we
should do it again.  But I then have difficulty persuading the leader
of the group to do it again.  "We are busy.  We have issues to discuss
and decisions to make."  I would like to have a better understanding
of the follow up to a facilitation exercise.
2.  There is an International Association of Facilitators that meets
annually, I think. http://www.iaf-world.org/index.aspx  Has anyone in
this group been to one of their meetings?  It seems they discuss such
issues.
Stuart