ALGAE-L August 2011

Re: cents/kg?

Andreas Schuenhoff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Aug 2011 10:24:55 +0100

Did my message get posted? Please check below if you didn't see it earlier, if not please accept my apologies for the double.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Schuenhoff [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2011 23:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: cents/kg?

Dear all,

I think it has been tried over and over to do something with such biomass in large quantities and not only recently, no, since the oil crisis in the 70's.
The question needs to be asked why in 40 years there are so "few" economic publications on this matter. Anyway, you could say, I had my reasons to move on.

As brilliant an idea it would seem, there is currently no feasible way to turn this into anything worth the while an economic consideration - due to the elevated cost of just preparing it for any kind of use. As Carlos below points out, most scientists look at this small scale and have no problem hand-netting a clean sample, washing it and placing it into a centrifuge and so on. My former colleagues and I know just as a few more people out there what it means to do this with just a few tons of it. We also quickly turned our attention to potentially higher value species to find some kind of economic use but not even this proved to be a short term option for further upscale.

Any application involves a constant and reliable supply, high use of energy, water, equipment and manpower, just 1kg processed dry weight would have to value at least €0.50, just to make this effort on a commercial scale remotely viable, that's 10kg processed wet weight after centrifuge if I recall correctly. And, I'm glad no one mentioned feeding it to anything. The stuff is already rotting on the beach when collected.

From a less scientific view, and apart from trying to manage nutrient runoff as well as possible, let's just try and live with these blooms, they are not the end of the world.

And if you have to collect it to keep the tourists happy (just think of the additional impact on flora and fauna), some hope may lie in the conversion into diesel, there's plenty of research out there and why not chuck in the odd bloom that comes for free as it has to be collected anyway. All details of the behavior of this biomass would need to be checked but just do a search on diesel+garbage or start watching here as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-CwBWY1Lc it would be nice to know if anyone is aware if there is any research on using wet, rotting seaweed with this technology.

It must still be said that this technology is nowhere near wide scale application and  may prove to be utterly useless until USD400/gal but anyway, maybe one day someone smart will pick up on this.

Best wishes from an old seaweed and renewables fan,

Andreas
Portugal