OLD-IRISH-L July 2011

Re: Emne < Isamnion, etymology

pns <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:51:40 +0100

I haven't read this book by archaeologist Nick Aitchison
http://www.librarything.com/work/300459, but I understand that he has tried
to show that the present street plan of Armagh city is based on an ancient
processional spiral way.  If right, this point to a considerable importance
in the distant past, of a ritual rather than defensive character.

I can well understand scepticism about the persistence of ancient myths or
traditions into the late Middle Ages, but in the context of Ireland such
scepticism is probably overshadowed by scepticism about the possibility of
stories being invented arbitrarily, out of nowhere, to explain features in
the landscape.  We have to remember that a historic Earl of Desmond who died
in 1399 plainly adopted much of the character of Finn mac Cumhail
posthumously, and that in oral story-telling recorded in the late 19th
century there appear stories such as the birth of Lugh which also appear in
manuscripts many centuries older, in variants that are different enough to
discount direct literary borrowing from written sources, but plainly
basically the same.  And in 17th century Argyll, in Scotland, a bishop
lamented that his flock was more interested in tales of Finn Mac Cool and
the ancient heroes, than in Christianity.  In such contexts it may be
alleged complete loss of tradition about the origins of major ritual sites
that would need special explanation, rather than continued transmission, no
doubt attenuated and altered, into early modern times.

Bill