Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Gruinne
From: Graeme Dunphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:01:54 +0200

I forwarded this question to Andrew Breeze of the University of
Navarre, who has done some innovative work on Celtic place-names. Here
is his response.

g.

Andrew Breeze wrote:

Your Invergroin is at NS 3099, at the foot of a great hollow in the
mountains. Although it does not appear in Watson's _Celtic Place-Names
of Scotland_ (1926) or Nicolaisen's _Scottish Place-Names_ (1976), the
former on pp. 379-81 discusses the names of Gromyre, Pitgorno, Groan,
and so on, all with an element _gronn_ 'marsh', which is no longer
active in Gaelic. The sense would be 'river-mouth of a marsh'.

If _gronn_ is the element here, it would refer to the rough grazing in
the valley bottom below Invergroin, in which two streams meet. It
would hardly be to the stream above it, which drops steeply. However,
it would still be worth consulting the Scottish Place-Name Society via
Professor T. O. Clancy at Glasgow University. Their files would have
early forms and previous suggestions on this Dunbartonshire form.

On 19 June 2011 20:54, Tom Colquhoun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I don't have a copy of the entry. The Gaelic meanings were written in very
> light pencil and the last one was completely indistinct.
>
> Dwelly points croinn towards crann and four pages of derivatives, mostly
> referring to trees and ploughs. I suppose the stream name could have been
> Allt a' Chruinn giving the settlement name of Inbhircruinn thence Invergroin.
>
> Tom

Dr Graeme Dunphy
University of Regensburg

Mobile: +49 176 2098 2975