Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: hoarding against famine
From: Helen McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:38:36 +0000

thanks for the reply Neil.  I hadnt found any hint of such activity
myself, but I wanted to check in case I'd missed something.

> I haven't seen any evidence for that. (If there was large-scale, long
term storage, this would have required super-barns to be built, stocked,
maintained and supervised: I would expect the laws to mention them,
but they don't. They do, for example, deal in detail with the operation
of mills.)

I think the idea of the badgermen was to move the grain rather than
store it, they would collect the excess grain in one region and move it
to another in need, in a fairly micro-management way.  So its a low
level activity that could perhaps go unnoted in official documents.  But
as you indicate, no evidence so far from Ireland.

Helen