Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Problem separating epiphytes from Macroalgae for DNA extraction
From: Michal Ramot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:44:11 +0000

Dear List Members,
  I encountered a problem during my research, which I would appreciate help on.
I am collecting macroalgae from the Mediterranean Sea for DNA analysis purposes.
The problem is that epiphytes are tightly connected to the macroalgae and I
am not able to get rid of it.
I tried, mechanical means such as needles, ultra-sonic bathing, and freezing
and drying but nothing worked properly (next on my list, cosmetic face
peeling cream:-).
 I know it's a common problem but maybe one of you has a new idea of how to
do it.

Help would be highly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Michal Ramot
Department of Ecology
Bar-Ilan University
Ramat-Gan, Israel

Algae-L is a listerver list for the phycological community; you are receiving this message because you subscribed to the list.
You can get further information and unsubscribe at
When posting to the list please add your name, status and an institutional or brief postal address. The list will not accept attachments greater than 2 Mb.