Subject: Aontacht
From: John Bonsing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:04:07 +0000

One of the matters of some import with regard to Celtic culture is the
incorporation of certain of its aspects into belief systems and movements
that have developed out of 19th century+ societal changes and tastes. In
other words, it is troubling that this ethnic group's traditions have been
the target of consumption by other's. It'd be pretty well known that the
efforts of Caer Australis over the last 15years  have been directed on
addressing the question of Celtic perceptions of the calendar, the seasons
and the well-known feasts. This has taken the form of an objection to John
Rhys (somewhat amusing, seeing that our names are John and Rhys!) and any
and all developments that base themselves on that source (even if
un-knowingly); all of which has never meant to be a spoiling of Halloween
parties, but maybe a knee-up to spring-time merriment :)

Also, it has been our feeling that it is counter-productive to distance CA
from neo-pagan groups, for it would be preferable for them to mature than
wither, and preferable to have a chat over 'things' rather than dismiss
their often very well intended purpose, namely an enrichment of life.

To all that end, and including rantings on this list a decade or so ago, we
have had a low-level but continuous relationship with a number of neo-pagan
groups, some constant and happy, others brief but fruitful, and never
participatory or overtly supportive. (That is true also of a formal Celtic
focussed group in Australia, for which we have a related bone to pick - the
ASS - Australian Standing Stones, but that would require a digression).

So it came as a huge and delightful surprise that Druidic Dawn's mag,
Aontacht asked if they could republish some of our Celtic calendar
discussion. It is a simple cut-and-paste of the introduction part of our
website, but it is likely to come to the attention of a wide audience, and
could effect some discussion in these circles.

For interest, you might like to see the 2010 northern solstice issue at:
http://druidicdawn.org/files/AontachtVolume3Issue3.pdf
our bit is from page 20.
The source is at our site, http://caeraustralis.com.au/celtcalmain.htm

many cheers,