Help for SEANCHAS-L Archives

SEANCHAS-L Archives

SEANCHAS-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

SEANCHAS-L Home

SEANCHAS-L  December 2010

SEANCHAS-L December 2010

Re: crom [was: Re: [SEANCHAS-L] Star map]

Helen McKay <[log in to unmask]>

List for Scholars and Students of Gaelic Folk Traditions <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 12:29:24 +0000

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:07:52 -0000, Richard Marsh
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>crom = bent, stooped
>cruach = stack, rick (of hay, corn)
>(Ó Dónaill)
>
>This subject came up on the Old Irish list in June 2002. The results of
my
>on-site investigations were not taken seriously by that list, but for the
>edification, enlightenment and entertainment of this list I've put up
the
>basics at
>http://www.richardmarsh.ie/killycluggin.htm

Hi Richard, seems fine to me, I think sometimes a lack of response in
the virtual world is hard to read, rather than necessarily a negative.  I
cant remember where, I'm really bad in keeping track of sources, but I
read some years back some quite detailed study done on the folklore of
the western seaboard, whcih was looking in particular at traditions of
both Crom and Donn, and Crom was definitely a deity associated with
the end of harvest, so what you say on your website would sit easily
with that notion.  But i seem to remember that there was a good
overlap between the traditions of Crom and Donn, and that these
deities/deity are as normal, hugely complex beings, and probably have
many functions that come into play at all seasons of the year.  Crom's
sunday is in late July, which is too early for Lughnasad, and way too
early for the harvest, yet this date seems to have no known 'logic'
behind it, but indicates that Crom/Donn was way more than we have
left to us.

Oh and there may be an overlap here with Crom and Pathalon as the
leader of the first or second invasion of Ireland, Pathalon being a 'p'
word which is a bit problematic as an Irish name.  Pathalon too seems
to be concerned with end of harvest rituals and such.  But in the LGE,
he is primarily responsible for all the civilising arts of humanity as well
as growing crops for food and alcohol, so I would assume he originally
had a major role in mythology.

And I stumbled on that wonderful museum on the day after Marion went
back to Dublin, and its really great, if anyone else is planning to go
that way.  And the stone is immense, hard to see the size in photos,
and even broken its still spectacular.  In shape and decoration it is
quite like the Turoe stone, dont you think?

Eilidh