Helen McKay <[log in to unmask]>

List for Scholars and Students of Gaelic Folk Traditions <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:23:01 +0000

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 21:53:26 +0000, Janet Crawford
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>John, I am sorry but you are being so very clever that most all of
>what you have written has gone right over my head.
Hi Janet
The White Goddess is possibly the most famous book written on Celtic
lore, by Robert Graves, the son of a famous Celtic scholar, mostly
based on the ogham and alphabet.  Bits of it are great, like for
instance, the data on the folklore surrounding each type of tree is fine,
but he states upfront in the beginning that he is basically a poet
himself, and that he is about to take what he thinks he knows about
the old lore, and reconstitute it into his own integrated version of
poetry.  Which he does - and succeeds in successfully confusing most of
the modern pagan world, and caused a lot of angst as people tried to
take it as serious ancient lore.

Will Robinson was a young boy with a robot and family who had crashed
on an alien planet, and the robot used to yell, Danger, Will Robinson...
John, you're showing your age lol!

As for the question of ages - this is me now having a scream.  If people
dont get over this rot about 'celts' invading Ireland around 300BC, it
will probably be my turn to start spitting and cursing in bad ochaisms.

Oh and John was referring to his proposal that the celtic year didnt
start at Samhein as is commonly considered, as that idea doesnt seem
to have a long history that we can trace, and on the other hand the
coligny calendar starts in 'summer'.

So, that's my translation of J's post, hope that helps! for me it was
perfectly clear, but we ozzies can be a little odd at the best of time, its
cause we have a strange sense of ironical humour, inherited in the main
from our Irish ancestors... not our fault ... really...

Oh and John is asking what is behind your notion that the poem is 4
millenia old? you might want to answer that, as I too think you're in far
better territory than 300BC ...
Helen

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>I ran across this poem, "the song which Amairgen (considered the
>>>Gaelic equivalent or even original of the Brythonic Taliessin) sang
as
>>>he, with the conquering Sons of Mil, set foot on Ireland":
>>>
>>>The last four lines are interesting. If this does relate to a real
>>>memory, it would probably not go back more than 4,000 YBP.
>>>
>>>Janet
>>

>> Well, Janet, (giggle), gee you should (snicker) get a copy of the W
(haaha),
>> sorry..., the White Goddess by yahhaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaa Robert
Graves
>> ...Whaaaahahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
>>
>> Pardon the mirth.
>>
>> The poem is invoked at the beginning of the Tuatha de Danaan's
time in
>> Ireland, which was at Beltaine - danger Will Robinson! - and yes the
>> ivokation of the luni-solar periods are very much in line with CA's
argument
>> that prior to the establishment of the Roman calendar in Ireland -
note how
>> masterfully I avoided the special words - the Celtic system such as
we
>> understand it from the parapegma discovered from Gaul was in use.
>> On our site we use a line of the SoA on both the calendar and fire
feasts
>> sections :)
>> http://caeraustralis.com.au/celtcalmain.htm
>> http://caeraustralis.com.au/feastmain.htm
>>
>> However, i am wondering about the mention of a time delineation
of 4kybp?
>> Where does that number come from? It is likely the children of the
Danuvius